-----Original Message-----
From: Mukesh Agrawal [mailto:magra...@microsoft.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 2:03 AM
To: Windows Installer Support (MS Internal); General discussion for Windows
Installer XML toolset.; Windows Installer Xml Virtual Team
Cc: Sandeep Prabhu
Subject: [WiX-users] Patching Issue

We have a hotfix installer that replaces the old dll with a new dll in Program
Files/GAC.
It opens a handle for the file being replaced. So while replacement, if we do
not close this handle, an error is coming up - "Access Denied".

In some products of our team itself, we are not seeing this error (using the
same hotfix installer). The plausible reason for this behavior which we could
think of is the automatic closure of open handles by the windows installer
service.  So, the question is, is our assumption correct regarding this
behavior of windows installer ? If yes, why are we encountering the errors as
said above ? Can it be due to the difference in the way msi was authored for
these products ? We would be happy to give more information on this, if needed.

Mukesh