Are you using P/Invoke (DllImportAttribute) for any custom actions? If the
referenced DLL is not available in the system PATH environment variable you
will see this. This is common for native debug builds, but for managed CAs
you shouldn't see this unless you're referencing an assembly that you're not
packaging together with makesfxca.exe. And if you're not using
makesfxca.exe, that's likely the problem. Unless managed assemblies are
available in the GAC at install time, the Windows Installer service cannot
access them.

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 6:10 AM, Natalia <natalia.gladk...@arcadia.spb.ru>wrote:

> I know that using custom actions written in C# is not a very good idea, but
> it happened we are using it in our project.
>
> I experience very exasperating problem with my dll. SOMETIMES, when I add
> new custom action to my cs-file, some custom action that worked good
> previously starts to return the error mentioned in the title: "A DLL
> required for this install to complete could not be run". Installer cannot
> find entry point.
>
> I suspected that there's something wrong with encoding, tried to open my
> cs-file in various editors, remove spaces between "[CustomAction]" and the
> function's definition... Sometimes it helped in miraculous way. But now I
> can do nothing about this, my custom action doesn't work.
>
> Maybe someone experienced the same thing and knows some way to fix it?
>
> I use Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 with Votive, WiX 3.0.5120.0.

Heath Stewart
Deployment Technologies Team, Microsoft
http://blogs.msdn.com/heaths