Hi all,

Our installer installs a service that should run on XP/Vista as "NT Authority\Network Service".

We're using custom actions to set a McNeelUpdateServiceName property appropriately, and then use that property in the <ServiceInstall> action.

Depending on how I spell "Network Service" the user account name, installation of the service either succeeds or fails with error 1923 - but it's not consistent on all platforms.

Attached is the wxs file that defines the installation of the service.

Here are the various configurations I've tried:

        *NT Authority\Network Service
*       *NT Authority\NetworkService
*       *Network Service
*       *NetworkService
*
Windows XP English
        Works
        Fails
        Fails
        Fails
Windows XP Spanish
        Fails
        Works
        ?       ?
Vista 64 English
        Works
        Works
        ?
        ?
Vista 32 Spanish
        Fails
        Works
        ?
        ?

Is it really true that installing services on Windows is this hard?

This leaves me with three options:

  1. Have a bunch of special cases and detect the "correct" verison of
     NetworkService based on the local system settings. This will be
     lots of fun, given that we have customers all over the world.
  2. Determine a one-size-fits-all version of "NT Authority\Network
     Service" that work on all platforms.
  3. Install as LocalSystem. That seems irresponsible from a principle
     of least-privilege perspective.

Any other ideas? Help!

 - Brian

Brian Gillespie
Rhinoceros Development | Robert McNeel & Associates | http://www.rhino3d.com

/"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is."/