Thanks for all your responses. I have decided not to proceed with
installing an MSI from within an MSI. We can make the 3rdparty MSI as
pre-req.

-----Original Message-----
From: Markus Ewald [mailto:cy...@nuclex.org]
Sent: Monday, April 27, 2009 10:33 PM
To: General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset.
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] Installing multiple MSI

On 27.04.2009 18:24, Raja, Moiz (Moiz) wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> When I install my program I present checkbox to install an optional
> feature. If the user selects that checkbox then I need to install
> another MSI. I understand that a bootstrapper is required to do this
> type of installation. Any suggestions on 3rdparty bootstrappers that
> may be available that I can use for this purpose or do I need to write

> the bootstrapper myself.
>
> If anyone has ideas on how I can achieve my goal without using a
> bootstrapper are also welcome.

I have done this without a Bootstrapper. Check out
http://www.codeplex.com/xnainstaller, it is a simple .msi file that will
extract another .msi during install and install it as well. Complete
source code to the Custom Action used for that can be downloaded as
well.

The limitation of only one Windows Installer working at the same time
(through a global semaphore) relates to the deferred part of the
installation process. As long as the wizard GUI is displayed, the
semaphore has not been entered and other installers can be executed.

So I simply used an immediate mode Custom Action that extracts the other
.msi and installs it. If that install fails, the installer can be
aborted using a negative return from the Custom Action and if it
succeeds, the installer will let the user continue and install the
actual product.

> Thanks,
> -Moiz
-Markus-