WiX patching does support adding new components, but those components have
to be added to features in your products as well. They should also be in new
Fragments.

But if those features are optional features, adding new components to
optional and possibly absent features will cause prompt for source issues
(which will simply fail silent installs):
http://blogs.msdn.com/heaths/archive/2008/02/18/adding-new-components-to-existing-features-installs-the-feature-tree.aspx
.

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 6:57 AM, troy hostetter <troy.hostet...@gmail.com>wrote:

> I am having a hard time determining the best way to handle patching v1.0
> with v1.n.  I have all my wxs files built for v1.0, and would like to move
> forward with v1.n.  I have read the WiX doco, which explains the process of
> building a patch "Using Purely WiX".  This process seems to assume v1.n
> will
> contain a subset of files to be patched in v1.0, but no new files.
>
> For example, the WiX configuration assumes Sample.txt will be in all
> versions:
>
> <Component Id="SampleComponent"
> Guid="{C28843DA-EF08-41CC-BA75-D2B99D8A1983}" DiskId="1"> <File
> Id="SampleFile" Name="Sample.txt" Source=".\$(var.Version)\Sample.txt" />
> </Component>
>
> However, what if Sample.txt is only in v1.n and all subsequent releases?
>
> Are there any best practices you might recommend?
>
> Regards,
> - Troy

Heath Stewart
Deployment Technologies Team, Microsoft