Quoting from the Windows Installer documentation:
"A feature is a part of the application's total functionality that a user
recognizes and may decide to install independently."

But the user should usually not be able to optionally install the runtimes,
if the programs normal execution depends on them. So I don't see a reason to
add the complexity of an additional feature to the MSI database.
MergeGroup's would be a way to better express your intention in the WiX
source code.