On Thu, 28 May 2009 11:04 -0600, "Richard" <legal...@xmission.com>
wrote:

> In article <1243528043.2048.1317665...@webmail.messagingengine.com>,
>     "Curtis Jewell" <lists.wix-us...@csjewell.fastmail.us>  writes:
>
> > I know MsiProcessMessage is what I want to do to check for that cancel
> > button... (I'd make the call each time I recurse into AddDirectory) but
> > what's opaque is what parameters do I use if checking for a Cancel
> > button press is the only thing I want to do?
>
> There are two ways you can approach this.  You can just periodically
> write something to the log file with MsiProcessMessage with
> INSTALLMESSAGE_INFO and check the return value.

And I have points where I want to log things, so checking there is a
matter of adding a case to the select afterwards that translates the
return value into an ERROR_ constant. Easy enough.

> However, since your action takes quite a while, if you don't have some
> sort of updated UI your user is going to think the UI is "hung" and
> might do something stupid, like kill the process in the middle or
> generate a support call.
>
> So, the method I would suggest is to indicate progress of your CA by
> publishing AcionData messages with INSTALLMESSAGE_ACTIONDATA instead.

I do say it'll take a few minutes at the beginning with a
<ProgressText>, but I agree, adding ACTIONDATA calls would give more
feedback and allow me to check frequently.

So what I understand I need to do is:

1) I call MsiProcessMessage at the beginning of my CA with
INSTALLMESSAGE_ACTIONSTART with a handle that contains three things:

[1] = "CA_ClearFolder"
[2] = "Searching for additional files to delete:"
[3] = "Directory: [1]"

and then for each directory I enter into, I'd call
MsiProcessMessage(INSTALLMESSAGE_ACTIONDATA) with a handle with these
contents:

[1] = directory I've entered into.

Is that the correct way to do it? (specifically, the correct way to tell
the ACTIONSTART that the ACTIONDATA should be formatted that way?)

--Curtis

--
Curtis Jewell
swords...@csjewell.fastmail.us

%DCL-E-MEM-BAD, bad memory
-VMS-F-PDGERS, pudding between the ears

[I use PC-Alpine, which deliberately does not display colors and
pictures in HTML mail]