Hi Rob,

How you doing? Thanks for your reply.

Some more questions regarding your answers:
1. "Your Component will take ownership of the key (i.e. you will uninstall it
when your Component is removed)."
But in our case, I'm afraid we couldn't take ownership for that key. The reason
is, we're not trying to create a component with a key, but trying to change an
existing key's value. Actually, our application is a WPF application. We need
to make "Windows Presentation Foundation Font Cache 3.0.0.0" service Starup
type as "Automatic"(It's 'Manual' by default). All I need to do is to go to
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\FontCache3.0..0.0" and
change 'Start" from 3 to 2(Automatic). So you know, that component isn't ours.
But we need to change its value.

2. "So, either you have to make the Component Permanent or make it unmanaged
(no Guid attribute)."
How to make it permanent or unmanaged? Here is my code, could you point out the
problem of the code:
            <Component Id="Component_WPFFontCacheRegistry"
Guid="F56CE53E-E132-42ED-87FE-E6BCAA364499">
                <RegistryKey Root="HKLM"

Key="Software\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\FontCache3.0.0.0"

                    <RegistryValue Name="Start"
                                   Value="2"
                                   Type="integer"
                                   KeyPath="yes"
                                   />
                </RegistryKey>
            </Component>

3. "However, last I heard, changing the registry settings for services directly
is not recommended "
This makes sense. But in our case, all we need to do is to change the service's
startup type. Is this too risky to do?

4. "and you should go through the SCM APIs instead. Of course, that means a
CustomAction, unfortunately. If you write it, remember rollback."
What's the meaning of SCM? I know what CustomAction means(not very well, but
know its meaning at least). Speaking of "write it, remember rollback", could
you please give me some code example or some link?

5. Do you know if there is any other way to change the service's Startup
type other than changing the registry?

If changing the registry value approach causes much too much trouble, I'll talk
to our development team to let the application change the service Starup type.

I hope I'm not asking too many questions. :-)

Thanks again,
/Brian