You could use DTF (or vbscript) to analyse what is actually in the MSI.
I think there are few vbscript samples in the Windows Installer SDK.

Neil

-----Original Message-----
From: John Ludlow [mailto:john.ludlow...@gmail.com]
Sent: 23 June 2009 15:30
To: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [WiX-users] Light v3 logging - "Cabbing file xxx" message has
disappeared!

Hey, all

I'm evaluating Wix v3.0 to see if we should adopt it, and run into a
snag.  The problem is that in wix v2 we run light with -v and it
chucked out a lot of "Cabbing file xxx from yyy" style messages.
However, in Wix v3 they seem to have disappeared.  Looking through
the code, it seems that no special logging takes place when a file is
cabbed anymore.

I can understand why they might have been removed - there were a lot
of them after all.   But we actually use those messages - part of our
validation process uses this to work out what files are /actually/
shipped.  This process is in its own build and usually runs once a
week.

What's the best way of getting this information?  As far as I can see,
these are my options:

 *  Parse the .wxs.   However this gives me the variable-based path
for the file, which I then have to do a string-replace on (since it's
a different build I don't have actual access to the original values).
In addition, if someone adds a new file path based on a different
variable it impacts a part of the script that shouldn't affect at all.

  *  If the worst comes to the worst, I can always modify light.exe
to emit to the console, but it would be nicer if I didn't have to do
that.

Any other ideas?  Ideally, if I could run light and have it produce an
xml file (or just a flat list in a file, or just dump them to STDOUT)
of all the files that would be included included full, absolute paths,
that would be perfect.  I was half-expecting the wixout switch to do
this...

Thanks

John

------
Are you an open source citizen? Join us for the Open Source Bridge
conference!
Portland, OR, June 17-19. Two days of sessions, one day of unconference:
$250.
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;215844324;13503038;v?http://opensourcebrid
ge.org