Hey Tom,

Your question prompted a blog. I was going to write it all in the email but
I have seen this posed several times. I am sure, if you haven't already, you
could do some digging and find the answer. There are custom actions in the
WiX code base that do what you have asked as well.

Here is the blog post:
http://icumove.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!FB93073C6534B681!561.entry

Happy coding,

Brian Rogers