From: Igor Paniushkin [mailto:ipaniush...@sdl.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 01, 2009 6:01 PM
To: General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset.
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] How to reference a system environment variable?

I already figured out, I need to specify Directory element and not
DirectoryRef element, which I tried before.

If somebody interested, there is code to do that:

    <Property Id="SYSTEM_TEMP_FOLDER">
      <RegistrySearch Id="SystemTempFolder"
Key="SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment"
Root="HKLM" Type="directory" Name="TEMP" />
    </Property>

  <Directory Id="TARGETDIR" Name="SourceDir">
    <Directory Id="SYSTEM_TEMP_FOLDER">
      <Component Id="SystemTempFolder" KeyPath="yes" Permanent="yes"
Guid="*">
        <CreateFolder>
          <PermissionEx User="NameOfUser" GenericRead="yes"
GenericWrite="yes"
xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/UtilExtension"; />
        </CreateFolder>
      </Component>