1. Pretty much right. There are only two good reasons I've heard for MSI
still requiring short names, Novell file shares and that's just the way
the Windows Installer works. I've found inertia has a huge play in
Windows Installer decisions. The third reason I've heard is that the
user can force your application to install with short file names... but
I expect pretty much every app would break if someone did that. <shrug/>

2. Not as long as the short file names are unique in a directory and
stable. Different things changing messes up patching and minor upgrades.
So the names generated by WiX are designed to be unique and stable and,
unfortunately, fugly.