Depending on how your 32-bit app calls the install, it's possible that
it's using the 32-bit copy of msiexec.exe, which means that the
System32 folder gets redirected by default, which could mean that the
file doesn't actually exist.

You may be able to use something like ProcessExplorer to verify what
version of msiexec.exe is running.  If that is the problem, you may be
able to fix it by making sure your app disables redirection before
spawning the installation process.

HTH

John