From: Blair [mailto:os...@live.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 15, 2009 1:33 PM
To: 'General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset.'
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] Setup upgrade needs to care for 4th part of
versionnumber

It's worse than that:

The FileVersion (and ProductVersion) values in the Win32 Version resource
type (the 4-part one you refer to) allows 16-bit unsigned values in each of
the four parts. The Windows Installer version allows 8-bit unsigned values
in the first two parts and 16-bit unsigned values in the last two (although
the fourth is ignored). The reason is that the Win32 version internally is a
64-bit number, while the MSI version internally is a 32-bit number. Visual
Studio "protects" you by not allowing the fourth part (and further
constraining the remaining three) in the Setup projects (so you don't have
false expectations nor can you create an "illegal" version).

I don't know the reason. MSI uses the Win32 structure (all 64-bits) when
examining files comparing them to the rows in the File table, but it stores
just 32-bits for the ProductVersion values it uses to compare MSI files. It
may have something to do with the MSI 1.0 method of "registering" products
(registry DWORDs) that was kept due to back-compat considerations.

However, if you generate patches (MSP) you can use the Win32 notion of a
version (4 16-bit numbers, or 64-bits) to order (and override) the version
numbers (in other words, the same as the build-number system you use to
generate the files' version resources). So, they "upgraded" where they
could, while not where they couldn't without breaking things (you can always
load an MSI intended for MSI 5.0 using MSI 1.0 and it "has to understand"
what it is reading, even if it will reject it because you sent the minimum
MSI you support to a higher number).

-Blair