Short answer: yes change all your Component GUIDs.

I've got the exact same situation as yourself & having read all the
information available on Component rules I've changed all ours.

If you want to know what happens if you don't change the GUID's read up
on Component Rules & what happens when you break them at the following
pages:
http://robmensching.com/blog/posts/2003/10/4/Windows-Installer-Component
s-Introduction
http://robmensching.com/blog/posts/2003/10/18/Component-Rules-101

Rob M's blogs are more detailed than the MSDN pages & explain things
pretty well in my experience.

If you want to update v1 to v2 using Windows Installer it's eminently
do-able & is known as a Major Upgrade.
See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa369786.aspx and
Yes it would make a difference as you wouldn't need to change the GUIDs
as far as I'm aware (someone correct me if I'm wrong) as in that case v1
and v2 would never be on the same machine at the same time. I've done
this in the recent past with v1.0 -> v1.1 -> v1.2 but the version
numbering makes little difference, it just has to increase so v1 -> v2
would be fine too.

Good luck.

Palbinder Sandher
Software Deployment & IT Administrator
T: +44 (0) 141 945 8500
F: +44 (0) 141 945 8501

http://www.iesve.com
**Design, Simulate + Innovate with the <Virtual Environment>**
Integrated Environmental Solutions Limited. Registered in Scotland No.
SC151456
Registered Office - Helix Building, West Of Scotland Science Park,
Glasgow G20 0SP
Email Disclaimer