From: Oscar Newkerk [mailto:osc...@unifysquare.com]
Sent: Friday, August 14, 2009 2:15 PM
To: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [WiX-users] Custom Actions

I'm trying to use a custom action in my setup and getting an error when the
MSI runs.  The custom action is a DLL written in C# using the Visual Studio
template for custom actions.  It's not executing correctly when I run the
setup.  Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong?

The entry point looks like:

        [CustomAction]
        public static ActionResult CustomAction1(Session session)
        {
            _session = session;

            _session.Log("Begin RegisterScriptCA");
            bool status = RegisterSIPApplication();
            if (status)
            {
                return ActionResult.Success;
            }
            else
            {
                return ActionResult.Failure;
            }
        }

The custom action is defined as:

<Fragment>
    <CustomAction Id='RegisterScript' BinaryKey='RegisterScriptCA'
DllEntry='CustomAction1' Execute='immediate'
              Impersonate='yes' Return='check'/>

    <Binary Id='RegisterScriptCA'
SourceFile='C:\Users\oscarn\Documents\Visual Studio
2008\Projects\BusyOnBusy\BusyOnBusy\RegisterScriptCA\bin\Debug\RegisterScrip
tCA.dll'/>

</Fragment>

And included in the product.wxs file as:

    <InstallExecuteSequence>
      <Custom Action='RegisterScript' After='InstallFiles'/>
    </InstallExecuteSequence>

The Wix package builds OK, but when I run the install, I get an error when
it tries to invoke the custom action:

Action 14:05:01: RegisterScript.
Action start 14:05:01: RegisterScript.
Error 1723. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A DLL
required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support
personnel or package vendor.  Action RegisterScript, entry: CustomAction1,
library: C:\WINDOWS\Installer\MSIB7.tmp
MSI (s) (5C:EC) [14:05:06:332]: Product:   -- Error 1723. There is a problem
with this Windows Installer package. A DLL required for this install to
complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.
Action RegisterScript, entry: CustomAction1, library:
C:\WINDOWS\Installer\MSIB7.tmp

Action ended 14:05:06: RegisterScript. Return value 3.
Action ended 14:05:06: INSTALL. Return value 3.

Thanks

Oscar