I'm new to WiX but this is how I solved the problem of packaging hundreds of
files in a directory:
http://github.com/pandion/pandion/tree/master/Installer/WiX

Heat will generate a huge WXS file that is then compiled and linked together
with the rest of the setup as an argument to candle and light.
My build script runs heat to harvest all files in the "Temp" directory and
places them in a ComponentGroup called "CoreFiles" and in the Directory
called "DESTINATION".
heat.exe dir "./Temp" -nologo -cg "CoreFiles" -dr "DESTINATION" -srd
-template:fragment -ke -gg -out "./components.wxs"

I then refer to CoreFiles and DESTINATION from my product.wxs file as
follows:

<Directory Id="LocalAppDataFolder" Name="PFiles">
  <Directory Id="PandionLocalFiles" Name="Pandion">
    <Directory Id="DESTINATION" Name="Application"/>
  </Directory>
</Directory>

<Feature Id="ProductFeature" Level="1" Title="Core Application">
  <ComponentGroupRef Id="CoreFiles"/>
</Feature>

Hope this helps.

Sebastiaan