Hello,

Our build system generates two separate .wxs files (and therefore two
installers) dynamically dependent on our deployment directories - think about
it as two products/installers that can run independently, but can 'talk' to
each other.
By default, both of these installers install into the same directory, and a
number of the files are "shared" between the two installers.

The problem is that after installing the two, and then uninstalling one of them
leaves the left over installation crippled because it removes more files than
what it should - almost like the ref count was wrong, but I think what's
happening is that when installer #2 comes along, sees that the "shared" files
are already there, then it just does not install them, and not incrementing the
ref count on them.

It looks like the only way to make it work is to group these "shared" files
into one component, and make sure both .wxs files have the same GUID for the
"shared" component.  Is this really the only way you can make it work?  Can you
suggest another way of handling a case like this? Any way of making it work
with separate component GUIDs?
How do files that may be installed in the System32 work with WiX? or WiX
installers/products that place files in C:\Program Files\Common Files ?

Thank you for helping!

Windows Live: Make it easier for your friends to see what you’re up to on
Facebook.
http://windowslive.com/Campaign/SocialNetworking?ocid=PID23285::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:SI_SB_facebook:082009