The Request is the expected-intended state (based on conditions and parent
features). Null means it shouldn't be touched. I'm interested in knowing why
it says Installed: Absent on the upgrade.

The SchedXmlFile action has access to just two of the three values
(Installed and Action?) and has to "determine" what it should do based on
that. There is supposed to be a formula between all three that works like
this:

Installed: Absent; Action: Local = install
Installed: Local; Action: Absent = remove
Installed: Local; Action: Local = upgrade or repair (install again)
Installed: Local; Action: Null = leave alone (it was already installed, and
wasn't changed in this upgrade)
Installed: Absent; Action: Absent = don't install
I would assume that the following would also mean leave alone:
Installed: Absent; Action: Null

See the MsiGetComponentState() api for the view available to SchedXmlFile.

I wonder if adding LOGVERBOSE=1 to your commandline and looking in the log
around SchedXmlFile will give more information
(http://www.joyofsetup.com/2008/07/15/verbose-logging-from-wcautil) about
why it is executing for that component.