Hi All,

This isn't so much a WiX specific question, but more of a Windows
Installer one... however those on the list seem to have a pretty good
understanding of all the "rules" we should be following so I'm hoping
someone can point me in the right direction.

Currently for our main product I'm using two Product/@Id with each
release - one for x86 and one for x64. However I'm using the *same*
Product/@Id and Upgrade/@Id for the 6 different languages we ship.

Question 1 - Looking at "ProductCode Property" [
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa370854(VS.85).aspx ] I see a
requirement that the ProductCode must differ for different versions,
and languages. I'm just wondering why a different code for a different
language if I don't permit them to be installed side-by-side? The
packages are identical, we are just using Lingobit Localizer to
replace the resources in a pre-WiX build step and using a different
.wxl for the WiX build.

Question 2 - Looking at "Changing the Product Code" [
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa367850(VS.85).aspx ] I see
that adding new features is permitted without changing the product
code. However as the feature is only requested by a small portion of
our customer base... we're wanting to ship two versions of the same
MSI, one with the additional feature (which almost doubles the
download size) and one without. Should I be changing the product code
here or not?

Effectively in Question 2 my aim is to distribute two editions of the
same product, prevent them being installed simultaneously, and permit
the user to upgrade from the "Standard" to the "Enterprise" release.
We always release major upgrades and so separating things into two
distinct product lines is a feasible one - I'm just trying to figure
out if I do so (different product codes, upgrade codes, etc) can I
prevent the user from installing one over the other just by using the
upgrade table? Or will I need some complicated CA's?

Sascha