From: Daniel Hughes <daniel.hug...@tait.co.nz>
To: General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset.
<wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Sent: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 4:05:13 PM
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] Heat and GUIDs

the help about -ag says: "autogenerate component guids at compile time"

I assumed this would mean that each time it is compiled a new guid was
generated.

If in fact the guid is static as you say, it must be recorded somewhere
(all the file has in it is "*"), ie wix would have to know what guid was
used for that component last time we created an installer and reuse it.
My question is how would it know? or more simply where is the guid recorded?

Brian Rogers wrote:
> Hey Daniel,
>
> Are you sure you are getting NEW GUIDs when using the "*" (-ag switch in
> heat.exe)? These should actually be static.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brian Rogers
> "Intelligence removes complexity." - Me
> http://blogs.msdn.com/icumove <-- NEW
>

> On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 2:47 PM, Daniel Hughes
> <daniel.hug...@tait.co.nz>wrote:
>

>> If I use heat to harvest the contents of a folder, I can set it to
>> either generated GUIDs then or at compile time, or by default to put in
>> place holders.
>>
>> However if I set it to generate GUIDs then, I will get a different GUID
>> each time I run HEAT.
>>
>> If I set it to generate GUIDs at compile time I will get a different
>> GUID each time I build my installer.
>>
>> My question is,  do my components need to have the same GUID in each
>> installer a produce. If so does this mean that HEAT is a tool which I
>> can only use once to harvest the XML and then from then on I must edit
>> it manually (so I don't lose the GUIDs).
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Daniel

>> This email, including any attachments, is only for the intended
>> addressee.  It is subject to copyright, is confidential and may be
>> the subject of legal or other privilege, none of which is waived or
>> lost by reason of this transmission.
>> If the receiver is not the intended addressee, please accept our
>> apologies, notify us by return, delete all copies and perform no
>> other act on the email.
>> Unfortunately, we cannot warrant that the email has not been
>>  altered or corrupted during transmission.

addressee.  It is subject to copyright, is confidential and may be
lost by reason of this transmission.
other act on the email.

The new Internet Explorer® 8 - Faster, safer, easier.  Optimized for Yahoo!
Get it Now for Free! at http://downloads.yahoo.com/ca/internetexplorer/