Good to know for future reference as I have take Blair's good advice and no
longer fool with CA's to touch the registry or the event source and do those
with wix elements. My only custom action left decodes a des256 string to get
credentials for when I create the service and that works well. Install feels
much cleaner now with the HKCU registry, and CA's for event sources and the
registry stuff gone and I can live with having the user's digital detritus
left behind if someone uninstalls my app ;-)

There was this one caveat on the <CustomAction> win64 attribute -->
"Specifies that a script custom action targets a 64-bit platform. Valid only
when used with the Script, VBScriptCall, and JScriptCall attributes" Do you
think it should work with a .NET assembly which has so far been pretty easy
to create and use. I'll try this sometime in the near future and report on
it.

Rob, Thanks for yours Blair's and everyone's help. You folks are very
generous with your time and knowledge for WIX! My installs/uninstalls are
running well now and so it is time to get back to getting my application and
2 services enhanced having taken time to convert from the VS2008 setup
projects to WIX which I am much happier with. Switching to WIX was worth is
alone just to get rid of the irritating weirdness in VS2008 where my 3 setup
projects kept expanding randomly in the solution folder as I opened up other
projects. And there is a lot more control in WIX and it's extendable. Thanks
to all!

I don't see much need for a VS2008 GUI wrapper around wix projects but would
love to see some more official VS2009 integration with Powershell and WIX
building or other tasks such as zipping up related files when wanting a
package for someone. For a full release build, I build three x64 and three
x86 msi files from a Powershell script I launch from a VS2008 project that I
modified from a C# project shell. Then I have another VS2008 project zip
those up with some other things such as .doc and .bat files to get my user
going. It works pretty well since I can have dependencies on the other
projects and with PS V2 I can catch/throw and have VS2008 stop building upon
problems.

- Dave