Thanks Blair.

"need to be set before you open the dialog" - do you mean to set the property
before the install wizard dialog? That must be on a very early stage.
Currently, we have this code:
<CustomAction Id="SetSearchFolderProp"
Property="SETTING_FOLDERS_PROP"
Value="$(var.WIX_UPGRADE_SETTING_PARAMS)"
/>

        <Binary Id="DetectSettingMigrationBin" SourceFile="DetectSetting.dll" />
<CustomAction Id="DetectSettingMigrationCA"
BinaryKey="DetectSettingMigrationBin"
                      DllEntry="DetectSetting"
Execute="firstSequence"
/>

<InstallUISequence>
<Custom Action="SetSearchFolderProp" After="AppSearch" />
<Custom Action="DetectSettingMigrationCA" After="SetSearchFolderProp" />
</InstallUISequence>

How can I schedule it to make sure it is "set before I open the dialog"?

"If
while the dialog is open you want to change the visibility of the checkbox
you subscribe to an event." - how to subscribe an event?

Thanks.