I'm a total WiX noob, so please bear with me here. :)

I have a very large project that I'm writing an installer for. It has 2-3
scores of assemblies. The component list for the project is massive and
unwieldy. I want to break this up and group the component declarations
according to functionality.

How does one typically approach this? I can't see how to create fragments with
the component declarations because they apparently have to be in the
<Directory> hierarchy. The only thing I can figure out is to use include files,
such as

<Directory ...
  <Directory ...
    <?include "foo.wxi">

Is this an appropriate way to manage the components, or is there something I'm
not grokking?

Thanks a lot,

jk