This isn't a WiX problem.  It's MSI, and there's nothing you can really do
about it in the setup authoring, as far as I know.  The only way I'm aware
of to change it is to use MSIEXEC command line parameters to tell MSI to
overwrite changed files.

You should really look into using patches or MSI-supported techniques for
these "quick fixes".

Kelly

Thomas Singer <w...@regnis.de>

11/04/2009 10:18 AM
Please respond to
"General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset."
<wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net>

wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
cc

Subject
[WiX-users] Update fails if files have been modified

We are using Wix to install our (Java) application. Updating works fine,
even launched application (and service) are handled gracefully.

For providing users who report bugs a very quick bug-fix build we offer a
plain zip file containing just the replaced few binary (.jar) files which
they can replace themself in the installed application (we don't want to
create a separate installer for several reasons). Unfortunately, if such
binaries are replaced, the official next update Wix-based release (full
bundle which will not require a previous installation) will NOT replace
them
with the new files. It looks like Wix automatically detects that the files
were changed (by content or file time?) and then rejects to remove them
when
updating or uninstalling.

What is the easiest way to tell Wix to uninstall/update the replaced
files, too?

Thanks in advance,
Tom

This communication is intended solely for the addressee and is
confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure,
copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in
reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. Unless indicated
to the contrary: it does not constitute professional advice or opinions
upon which reliance may be made by the addressee or any other party,
and it should be considered to be a work in progress. Unless otherwise
noted in this email or its attachments, this communication does not form
a Statement of Actuarial Opinion under American Academy of Actuaries guidelines.