From: Shawn Dwyer [mailto:shawn.o.dw...@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, November 09, 2009 2:32 PM
To: General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset.
Subject: [WiX-users] One MSP for multiple MSI

Hello,

I've seen multiple similar posts but none seemed quite what I was looking
for, sorry if this has already been answered.

We have released one MSI for each language we support - each with it's own
ProductCode and CodePage.

Using Wix only patching, I thought it should be possible to specify the
patch in such a way that it would apply to multiple products

<!-- English -->

<PatchFamily

                ProductCode="68B543C9-2412-45AB-9327-D49189A8A13B"

                Id='XPIM30059'

                Version='3.0.60.0'

                Supersede='no' />

<!-- Spanish -->

<PatchFamily

                ProductCode="7E481F23-6792-4F89-A7CA-2F889FFE4DE7"

                Id='XPIM30059'

                Version='3.0.60.0'

                Supersede='no' />

However, when using Orca to apply the MSP to the Spanish MSI I get "This
patch can not be applied to packages with the current Product Code."

I'm using the admin image / loose file patching method described here:

http://blogs.msdn.com/pmarcu/archive/2008/05/30/Patching-something-you-didnt
-build-with-WiX-using-WiX-.aspx

I'm assuming this has something to do with the fact that the admin image has
the English MSI.  If I instead point to the Spanish admin image I have the
reverse problem.  Is there any way this can be done?

In future releases I'm planning on having the Product Code be the same for
all languages since the only difference between the MSIs will be the text on
the screen.  I think this would greatly simplify creating patches, will
there be any issues with this method?

Thanks,

Shawn