Turned out this is not so trivial.

Line in the setup.cpp file (the source for the SETUPBLD stub setup.exe) says

 "hr = StrAllocConcat(&pwzProperties, L" REINSTALL=ALL
REINSTALLMODE=\"vomus\"", 0);"

this forces a minor upgrade instead of a normal install that produces the
change/repair/remove dialog.

For anyone interested there is a modified version of a tool out there called
msistuff.exe which comes with another setup.exe stub (your msi is added to this
as a resource).

msistuff.exe setup.exe /d MySetup.msi /v 200 /o INSTALLUPD /b MySetup.msi /p
REINSTALLMODE=omus

Although similar to SETUPBLD the difference is the /p switch which allows you
to control MSIEXEC. I read somewhere else this might appear in the next version
of SETUPBLD whenever.

I really do hope "Burn" someday sees the light. This I think would be the last
hurdle before WIX runs over Installshield and the rest.