On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 10:59 AM, Peter Shirtcliffe
<pshirtcli...@sdl.com> wrote:
> I was looking at sharing file extension registrations between
> applications only yesterday. This page and its related content were most
> useful
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb166183(VS.80).aspx

That is an interesting post, but (correct me if I am wrong) it seems
quite different from my situation.

1) I am supplementing with extra information, not writing a product to
compete with the registration for the filetypes.
2) I have no 'open' action attached to my application and installation at all.
3) Minimum change is my goal for installation - I don't know how other
applications act/deal with their file registrations. I can imagine
quite a few applications will have a check for the progid and pop up a
'ProductA is no longer configured to handle .XYZ files. Do you wish to
repair the file associations?' dialog... which would most likely break
the few things I need in the registrations. This is one of THE reasons
I want to modify existing ProgIDs rather than take ownership of the
extension and copy any existing configuration in the old ProgID to my
new one.

Thank you for the link however, it is an interesting resource on how
to deal with that facet of filetype associations.

Regards,

Jan Wester