The warning most likely comes from the "C:\" part of "C:\MyDefaultDir\". Not
all Windows platforms have a "C:" drive. You may want to find a different
way to "compute" a default location for new installations.

-----Original Message-----
From: pushist1y [mailto:mister.p...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 7:34 AM
To: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [WiX-users] setting default INSTALLDIR

i want to make single msi-file both to install or upgrade my application.
i'm
using different product codes and single update code for all versions and i
store installation path in the registry.

running the installation i want to check the registry for my records
presence and if i find istallation path then i want to reinstall new version
to the same path. i've tried a lot and i managed to set default installation
path by searching from the registry to property INSTALLPATH:

<Property Id="INSTALLDIR" Value="C:\MyDefaultDir\">
<RegistrySearch Id="RegSearch_0001" Root="HKLM" Key="Software\some\path"
Name="InstallDir" Type="raw"/>
</Property>

That worked pretty fine and the default installation path was set to the
path found in registry. But i'm getting compilator warnings for that.

I tried to search from registry to another property and then set INSTALLDIR
to my value via Set Folder and Set Property custom actions but that didn't
work.

Is there any way to set the INSTALLDIR before the Select Directory dialog
without warnings?

Also i wonder if i can omit the Select Directory dialog if i have
successfully found my installation path in registry.