Hi everyone

My Wix 3.0-based installer is failing to uninstall a WCF Service correctly.
Some of the binaries the service relies on (although not the service binary
itself) are placed in the GAC, which according to the MSDN documentation for
the ServiceControl
table<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa371634(VS.85).aspx> means the
service cannot be installed or started using the ServiceInstall and
ServiceControl tables.  However, the installation of the WCF service completes
successfully.

The uninstall behaviour is:

1.       The Service binaries are removed from their installation location (so
presumably the service can no longer operate?).

2.       The Service is stopped, and sometimes disabled, but never removed from
the list of Services.  No reboot is ever requested from the installer, and it
is not removed after a reboot either.

3.       When running uninstall from ARP on Windows 2008 R2 (I believe it also
happens on R1), a message is displayed stating that MyService is currently in
use and should be closed before continuing

a.       Running from the MSI results in a dialog box indicating that the
service must be stopped manually before continuing.

b.      I can continue with the install trying to stop the service
automatically, or opt not to have the service closed (A reboot may be required).

c.       Choosing either option results in the behaviour noted in points 1 and
2 being observed.

The relevant portion of the WiX code for this service install is as follows:

      <Component Id="MyService.ServiceHost.exe"
Guid="{E02E6472-EEBE-4979-812A-E43363E5AC56}">
        <File Id="MyService.ServiceHost.exe" Name="MyService.ServiceHost.exe"
              KeyPath="yes" Source="path\to\MyService.ServiceHost.exe" />
        <ServiceInstall Id="MyService" Name=" MyService "
                        DisplayName="!(loc.MyServiceName)"
                        Account="LocalSystem" Start="disabled"
ErrorControl="normal"
                        Type="ownProcess" Description="!(loc.MyServiceDesc)" />
        <ServiceControl Id="StopMyService" Name="MyService"
                        Stop="both" Remove="uninstall" Wait="yes" />
        <util:EventSource Log="Application" CategoryCount="0" Name="MyService"

EventMessageFile="[NETFRAMEWORK20INSTALLROOTDIR]EventLogMessages.dll" />
      </Component>

And the relevant portion of the MSI log file is as follows:

MSI (s) (8C:5C) [17:54:31:743]: Component: MyService.ServiceHost.exe;
Installed: Local;   Request: Absent;   Action: Absent;   Client State: Local

<snip />

MSI (s) (8C:5C) [17:55:05:639]: Executing op:
ActionStart(Name=StopServices,Description=Stopping services,Template=Service:
[1])
MSI (s) (8C:5C) [17:55:05:639]: Executing op:
ProgressTotal(Total=1,Type=1,ByteEquivalent=1300000)
MSI (s) (8C:5C) [17:55:05:639]: Executing op: ServiceControl(,Name=My
Service,Action=2,Wait=1,)
MSI (s) (8C:5C) [17:55:05:639]: Executing op:
ActionStart(Name=DeleteServices,Description=Deleting services,Template=Service:
[1])
MSI (s) (8C:5C) [17:55:05:639]: Executing op:
ProgressTotal(Total=1,Type=1,ByteEquivalent=1300000)
MSI (s) (8C:5C) [17:55:05:639]: Executing op: ServiceControl(,Name=My
Service,Action=8,Wait=1,)

Does the GAC issue mentioned above have any impact on uninstall scenarios?
What is going on with the uninstall?  The log seems to suggest that the service
actions are completing correctly, but evidently they are not.

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Kind regards

Alastair Smith
Software Development Engineer
Web Interface Hardwick

Citrix Systems (R&D) Ltd
Venture House
Cambourne Business Park
Cambourne
CB23 6DW
United Kingdom

Phone: +44 1954 283708 or Ext 33708
Email: alastair.sm...@eu.citrix.com<mailto:alastair.sm...@eu.citrix.com>
This e-mail message and all documents that accompany it may contain privileged
or confidential information, and are intended only for the use of the
individual or entity to which addressed. Any unauthorized disclosure or
distribution of this e-mail message is prohibited. If you have received this
e-mail message in error, please notify me immediately. Thank you.
www.citrix.co.uk<http://www.citrix.co.uk/>
(c) Citrix Systems, Inc. (NASDAQ: CTXS)