Hey! I think I was able to finally solve this issue which also related so
other issues with alternate patching not working.  The reason for all the
trouble seemed to be the use of RegistryKey entries for non advertised
shortcuts in the related components.  Original wix for example:

<Component Id="Component1" Guid="{XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX}">
  <File Id="File1" Name="My File" Vital="yes"
Source="$(var.PATH)\Filename.exe">
    <Shortcut Id="Shortcut1" Directory="ProductProgramMenuFolder" Name="File
Name" WorkingDirectory="directoryBin">
  </File>
  <RegistryKey Root="HKCU" Key="Software\Product\NamedDirectory\Uninstall">
    <RegistryValue Value="0" Type="string" KeyPath="yes" />
  </RegistryKey>
</Component>

To fix the problem I had to remove the registrykey and set the shortcut as
advertised as follows:

<Component Id="Component1" Guid="{XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX}">
  <File Id="File1" Name="My File" Vital="yes"
Source="$(var.PATH)\Filename.exe">
    <Shortcut Id="Shortcut1" Directory="ProductProgramMenuFolder" Name="File
Name" WorkingDirectory="directoryBin" Advertise="yes">
  </File>
</Component>

In case anyone else out there has a similar issue, after making this change
everything worked fine!