Hi,
I've asked about similar issue a few days ago (on 7th January 2010):
http://n2.nabble.com/Question-about-Shared-Components-and-their-Key-Paths-td4265681.html#a4265681

There is a blog post mentioning the components are tracked for each
product independently:
http://blogs.msdn.com/heaths/archive/2009/12/21/about-shared-components.aspx

Sadly I don't know anything about Merge modules.

Ondřej Zarevúcky