From: Nick Number [mailto:shi...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 04, 2010 8:36 PM
To: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [WiX-users] Upgrade installer

Hello all.  I've just joined the list in hopes of solving a specific
problem.

A few months ago I used WiX to create a fairly simple .msi.  Here is the
relevant portion of the .wxs file, with identifying information redacted
(GUID1 and GUID2 represent real uppercase GUIDs):

---START OF CODE---
<Product Name='My Program' Id='GUID1' UpgradeCode='GUID2'
    Language='1033' Codepage='1252' Version='1.98.20' Manufacturer='me'>

<Package Id='*' Keywords='Installer' Description="My Program Installer"
  Comments='My comments' Manufacturer='me'
  InstallerVersion='100' Languages='1033' Compressed='yes'
SummaryCodepage='1252' />
---END OF CODE---

It works fine, but I want to distribute an update and the one I created
refused to install over the top of the old version.  After some
research, I
changed the .wxs file as follows:

---START OF CODE---
<Product Name='My Program' Id='*' UpgradeCode='GUID2'
    Language='1033' Codepage='1252' Version='1.98.206'
Manufacturer='me'>

<Package Id='*' Keywords='Installer' Description="My Program Installer"
  Comments='My comments' Manufacturer='me'
  InstallerVersion='100' Languages='1033' Compressed='yes'
SummaryCodepage='1252' />

<Upgrade Id="GUID2">
    <UpgradeVersion Minimum="1.98.20" Maximum="1.98.206"
Property="PREVIOUSVERSIONSINSTALLED" IncludeMinimum="yes"
IncludeMaximum="no" /> </Upgrade>

<InstallExecuteSequence>
  <RemoveExistingProducts After="InstallInitialize" />
</InstallExecuteSequence>
---END OF CODE---

Now it will install over the top, but unfortunately it leaves an
orphaned
duplicate entry in Add or Remove Programs which can't be removed except
by
msizap.

I have a feeling I'm misunderstanding the roles of the GUIDs in the
UpgradeCode and Upgrade Id tags.  Or perhaps specifying a GUID in the
Product Id of the first version has irrevocably screwed things up.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can make an .msi file which
will
completely uninstall the first package when installing over the top of
it?

------
Stay online with enterprise data centers and the best network in the
business
Choose flexible plans and management services without long-term
contracts
Personal 24x7 support from experience hosting pros just a phone call
away.
http://p.sf.net/sfu/theplanet-com