Hi,

I have a bit of a mystery that I was hoping other WiX users could help
solve.  I have a WiX MSI installer built for an application that installs a
web site and a Windows Service.  The Windows Service runs under a domain
account.  We tested the installer locally and on our SIT and UAT servers a
few weeks ago without any issues.  Then when it came to installing the app
on production, the service always failed to start.  I think we eliminated
the obvious causes.  The service account isn't locked out and the password
is correct.  The service account has modify access to the folder that the
service executable is in.  And, the service account is given the "log in as
service" right by the installer.

Now, we did find a work-around.  But I can't think of a good reason why it
works.  I added an option to the installer on whether to start the service
or not.  The work-around is:

1. Install the app with the service account but do not start the service.
2. Go the the "Services" control panel, change the service credentials to
the person doing the install and start the service.  If you try to start the
service with the domain account, right after the install, it will fail to
start.
3. Change the service credentials back to the domain account and start the
service.  It will then start successfully.

When I went back to the SIT and UAT servers to find a cause for this issue,
those servers seemed to have the same issue.  My guess is that some policy
has been pushed out to the servers that is causing the problem.  Does anyone
know of a setting or policy (that I haven't mentioned above) that would
prevent a service from starting?

Thanks,

Chris McKinnon