I have 3 msi's which contain the same merge module. Apart from containing
components common to all 3 products, the merge module also writes an entry
to the HKLM registry hive.

The first product to be installed, say Product A, will put the shared
components in its own folders, and the other two products will use the same
location for the shared components (even if their other components get
installed elsewhere).

Now if the user uninstalls the Product A  I want to display a warning that
certain shared components will not be removed, so that the user doesn't go
and remove those files on their own and break the functionality of the other
two products. What's the best way to do this?

I tried using a custom action sequenced after InstallFinalize to check if
the registry entry created by the merge module persists after uninstall
(since that would mean at least one other product that uses it exists on the
system), but I don't know how to communicate the results of the check back
to Wix since I can't set a session property at that stage.