Hi Bob,

This makes sense, however I am not retrieving values set during the install
time.

During the change only the properties set in UI sequence are not getting
forwarded to Install sequence. and this happens only on machines with UAC
enabled and logged in user is non build-in Admin.

In other cases it works all well.

To note: All works well if I run MSI with elevated command prompt or on a
machine with UAC disabled.

>From one of the MSDN posts here
>(http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/windowscompatibility/thread/48265402-1fbc-41d4-aedc-2c711750fe4a/)
> this is what I am facing: (I haven't got any response to this on that post)

Vista's new UAC and the existing managed install functionality are interacting
in a bad way for me.  My software allows you to change some settings when you
select Modify from Software Explorer.  The UAC prompt doesn't appear, the
install is automatically elevated, BUT the install also sets the
RestrictedUserControl property that prevents any of the new settings from
reaching the server side of the installation:

MSI (s) (E4:C8) [14:30:51:473]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding RestrictedUserControl
property. Its value is '1'.
  MSI (s) (E4:C8) [14:30:51:473]: Ignoring disallowed property INSTALLDIR
  MSI (s) (E4:C8) [14:30:51:473]: Ignoring disallowed property...

"Elevation" is not useful here.  We need full privileges for a successful
re-install.

Before Vista, we used to test if the user is an admin and give an error message
if not.  Vista gives us the capability to tell if the user is an admin or if
the install is elevated.  But how do we know in advance if
RestrictedUserControl will be set?  We don't want to wait until the server side
of the installation starts, after the user has already entered data.

Could there be a way to force UAC elevation when the user selects Modify from
add/remove programs?  Many ways are provided to suppress the UAC prompt, but
how do we make it appear when we need it?

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/201469230/direct/01/