If you can have the end-user customize the config file *before*
installing, you can create an MSI transform and install the modified
config file. Our customers need to customize a default config before
deploying across the network (desktop software) and so we use the
method I've described over at
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/319894/simplest-solution-to-replace-a-tiny-file-inside-an-msi

If you wanted to automate it then I'm sure you could put together some
bootstrap process that prompts the user for their choices, writes a
modified config file, wraps that up into an MST and CAB file and then
launches the MSI.

As a side note, setup *must* be considered part of the development
cycle. As soon as you have a working build, start on setup. That way
issues and problems like these are highlighted early and can be fixed
when there is still time. (Unfortunately it's easier said than done
and took nearly two major release cycles for the mindset to catch on
here)

Sascha