I have several subdirectories that need to be created and shared when i
install my app.
During the first time install they will look something like this
AppData
    Photos
    Reports

But each of these could hold a lot of data. So my app is built to be able to
look on different drives. The user can just copy/paste the files somewhere
else, and change some settings in the db and it will work fine.
During an update though i may need to know where these locations are so i
can copy new files to these folders as needed. ( We can assume they will be
on the same machine, but maybe different drives )

So what i would like to do, is during the first install, use my default
directory structure like the above. But during an upgrade. ( we will
technically unistall/reinstall - but the data in these directories should
remain )
I want to look for the location in the db, and set my install locations
appropriatly.

I figure a custom action called after costinitialize could get the locations
just fine. Even return the default directories as needed. My question though
is how to organize the directory xml, and put my directories in there.

i thought something like this
<directory id="photo" name="{myphotodir}">
</directory>
<directory id="reports" name="{myreportdir}">
</directory>

But it could cause some issues. The directories could have the same root or
not, they may even be on different drives. Does wix even let you do that?
Can I install on two drives at all?

Any Suggestions?