Hi all,

I struggle with writing a WiX installer that can conditionally install an
executable as Windows service. The executable can be run as Windows service
but it is not required to. The user should get an option to install the
service during setup or not. The option could be in form of a feature
"Install as Windows Service".

I'm stuck because the ServiceInstall element has no condition and always
refers to the KeyPath file of its Component. My last attempt was to have two
Components installing the same file, one with ServiceInstall, the other
without. But besides not being a very elegant approach it's not working
(ICE30).

Is there any solution out there you know of or would the only way to write
my own custom action for this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Andreas