I'll assume a .NET setup is a Visual Studio Setup Project, but anyway there's
something missing in your description. You may have to be more precise about
what you did.

If you install an MSI file with a ProductCode, then that product guid is on the
system, that's the definition of a product. If you now rebuild your MSI file
with different content, and the ProductCode is the same (and you don't install
it with a special command line) then it will go into maintenance mode when you
try to install it. In Visual Studio setups that's a Repair/Remove choice. If
you choose Repair then it does not use your new MSI file. It effectively says,
oh, this ProductCode is already installed, and it uses the existing installed
(cached) MSI file to do a repair. There'll be one entry still in Add/Remove
Programs but there will be no new content from your new MSI file on the system.
 The other possibility could be that you (inadvertently?) used
RemovePreviousVersions in your VS setup project, but that doesn't make sense if
your ProductCode was the same in both your MSI files.

That's the underlying issue - there is no such thing as an upgrade install when
the ProductCode stays the same between two builds of an MSI file (unless you
install the second one as a patch by reinstalling the entire new MSI file with
a command line specifying REINSTALL and REINSTALLMODE). Them's the MSI rules no
matter what tool you use to build your MSI file. So it comes down to exactly
what you did and saw in your "upgrade".

Phil Wilson