> Windows Installer caches a copy of your MSI but it strips out any embedded
> cabinets. You'll need the original > source for repairs. I'll let somebody
> with more knowledge provide advice.

> I have heard mentioned that Windows Installer requires that the MSI package
> filename does not change
>  (probably for Repair scenarios). You may want to make sure the bootstrapper
> EXE extracts the MSI packages
>  using consistent naming every time.

Burn and some other bootstrappers deal with this. Another solution I have seen
is a custom action that caches the original MSI during the installation and
adds the cached location to the "Source List".

> If I remember correctly, Visual Studio setup projects only allow a single
> Feature. Features and Components
>  are a Windows Installer concepts. ComponentGroups and FeatureGroups are WiX
> concepts to help organization.
> Make sure to follow the Component Rules.

Just to add to this: Most of the time, you want a single file per component.
You want to group your components into your features. You can select features
to install via either the command-line or the UI.

> You should be able to set the impersonation appropriately to launch your exe
> as the user.

For Vista and newer, the Restart Manager is integrated in with Windows
Installer, and WiX exposes that integration to you to allow you to control it.
For XP you would need a custom action. WiX already supplies a custom action
that may possibly work for you.

> The %ProgramFiles% filesystem is readonly. If you want configuration that is
> *not* modified by the installer
>  at install time then you should place those configuration files in writable
> filesystem. There is a place for
> such files at the "system-level" but I can't remember where it is. I believe
> the folder physically maps to
> C:\ProgramData but I forget what the FolderId is for it. Let's assume you
> copy the configuration files to
> "C:\ProgramData\Classic Shell". The real question is "How do you migrate
> values in the current configuration
> file to the new configuration file on upgrades"? You may need a CustomAction
> (or more) to do this.

You could possibly "read" the customizations from the INI files and write those
out to the new INI files using built-in support in Windows Installer for
writing INI files (the built in support for reading INI files applies only to
INI files in the windows system directory) and a custom action that reads the
customizations from the previous INI files that you will apply to the upgrades.