We're going to implement a plugin for Microsoft Outlook. We'll include this
plugin in our MSI installer. First of all, we OEM our software. That means, for
example, the customerA has their own installer which may include 15 features;
the customerB has their own installer which may include 20 features. If we
treat
this Outlook plugin as one of the existing features, life will be easier. We
just need to add the plugin, give it a GUID, and the plugin will be installed
in
the same folder as any other components.

But now, the requirement for this Outlook plugin is, to make this plugin serve
for multiple builds. It means, all customer builds share one plugin. If the new
version of the build is installed(no matter customerA, or customerB, or
customerC), then the build should update this shared plugin version if the new
build has the most updated version. Right now, the customer's build is
installed
in the folder like "Program Files\CustomerA". I can imagine, this plugin has to
be installed in a common folder such as "Program Files\Common\My
Company\Outlook
Plugin".

How can I do that?

As you know, customerA and customerB installers have different package ID. How
these different installers can control one component? By the way, we support
"Major Upgrade" in our installer for all customers.

Thanks.