If you simply remove the older version (without installing the newer
version), do the shortcuts remain?

What is your associated code for the shortcuts in both old and new versions?

-----Original Message-----
From: Thode, Katelyn [mailto:katelyn.th...@guidancesoftware.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 7:45 AM
To: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [WiX-users] Upgrade Help

Hello,

I am working on creating a wix installer to upgrade an existing application.
If I try to install an older version of the application, the installer
indicates that a newer version is installed and exits the setup as expected.

 The issue I am having occurs when a newer version is detected and an
upgrade occurs.  In the older versions of the installer, the application is
under the start menu as [Application Name] -> application, uninstall, user's
guide.  In the newer version, the setup for the start menu is [company name]
-> [application name] -> application, uninstall, user's guide.

When I try to upgrade, the newer version is added and, in the Program Files
directory, the files are changed.  But, the desktop icon and the start menu
shortcuts remain.  Is there a way for me to remove the old shortcuts using a
standard action?

Below is the upgrade code I currently have:

    <!-- Upgrade Information -->
    <Upgrade Id="$(var.UpgradeCode)">
      <UpgradeVersion Minimum="0.0.0"
                      Maximum="$(var.ProductVersion)"
                      IncludeMinimum="yes"
                      Language="1033"
                      Property="OLDUPGRADE" />
      <UpgradeVersion Minimum="$(var.ProductVersion)"
                      OnlyDetect="yes"
                      Language="1033"
                      Property="DETECTNEW" />
    </Upgrade>

    <InstallExecuteSequence>
      <RemoveExistingProducts After="InstallInitialize" />
    </InstallExecuteSequence>

    <Condition Message="A later version of [ProductName] is already
installed.  Setup will now exit.">
      NOT DETECTNEW OR Installed
    </Condition>

    <!-- On upgrade find out the install directory -->
    <CustomAction Id="SaveTargetDir" Property="ARPINSTALLLOCATION"
Value="[INSTALLDIR]" />

    <InstallExecuteSequence>
      <Custom Action="SaveTargetDir" After="InstallValidate">
        NOT
        Installed
      </Custom>
    </InstallExecuteSequence>

    <InstallUISequence>
      <!-- App search is what does FindInstallLocation, and it is dependent
on FindRelatedProducts -->
      <AppSearch After="FindRelatedProducts" />
    </InstallUISequence>

    <!-- Find previous installation location -->
    <Property Id="INSTALLDIR">
      <RegistrySearch Id="FindInstallation"
                      Root="HKLM"
                      Key="$(var.RegistryKey)"
                      Name="InstallDir"
                      Type="raw" />
    </Property>

Thanks for your help,
Katelyn

Note: The information contained in this message may be privileged and
confidential and thus protected from disclosure. If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible
for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby
communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the
message and deleting it from your computer.  Thank you.