That would not help in my case though, since i am aiming to validate any
user defined values entered in the UI sequence.
So in the case where the user chooses to run the "service to be
installed" as LocalSystem, and the connectionstring uses integrated
security, i want to make sure that the connectionstring is correct, by
connecting and disconnecting to the database.
If the action does not succeed, i would like to prevent the user from
going to the next dialog, until i'm sure that all values are correct.

Now in the case where integrated security is true but the service
account is a user account, i could go around it by impersonating that
user and the doing the DB connect attempt.

Not sure if it would be good practice to try and impersonate the local
system account though.

So there is no way around this?
That would mean that i would provide an "incomplete" Installer since i
can validate ALL user defined values except the case where:
connectionstring uses Instegrated Security and the account that will be
used based on that configuration is LocalSystem.

So that is one senario where the installation completes, i run the
installed service, but it doesn't work as excpected because the service
can't access the DB(either because LocalSystem has no access to it, or
the connectionstring is wrong, and i couldn't detect that error during
installation, which i want to)...

Any opinions?

--
Stelios Kyprou
Systems Engineer

This message is confidential and may be privileged. It is intended solely for
the named addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, please inform us.
Any unauthorised dissemination, distribution or copying hereof is prohibited.

Formicary Limited registered office in England and Wales, address 1 Taillar
Road, Hedon, East Yorkshire HU12 8GU, registration number 3894343, VAT number
747644304, does not guarantee that the integrity of this communication has been
maintained nor that this communication is free of viruses, interceptions or
interference.