Thanks for the input guys... Tom, I owe you a beer.

In case anyone finds this in the archives:

There was a custom action that was slamming the property referenced in the
ActionProperty column of the Upgrade Table.  During the UI sequence, it was
scheduled before FindRelatedProducts so it had not effect, but for the
Execute Sequece it was after.

The property was getting set to "1", so it now makes sense that the log said
"Product: 1" during RemoveExistingProducts.

Thanks again,
James