<Posting again, as I wasn't subscribed to the WiX users mailing list>

This isn't necessarily specific to WiX, but there's a lot of Windows install
expertise on the WiX forums and I haven't had luck posting this question to
other places.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

We're using a bootstrapper around our MSI that exercises the
MsiSetExternalUI API to redirect MSI messages to a custom message handler.
I'm finding that even if I pass in all of the supported/documented message
type flags to MsiSetExternalUI (per
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa...8VS.85%29.aspx), messages of
type VERBOSE are not caught.

Had a situation recently where a service wasn't being installed as part of a
product upgrade. After some investigation, I bypassed our bootstrapper and
called msiexec directly with /l*v to get complete, verbose logs. In the
resulting install log, the text surrounding the InstallValidate action
indicated that the component behind the service was not being installed (the
Installed, Request, Action section). I then surmised that the file version
of the lone file belonging to the component had an outdated file version,
which turned out to be the case. The component was not being installed
because the KeyFile had a file version less than that of the instance
existing on the system, so the elements of the component (including the new
service) were not installed.

In the future, I'd like to have this extra information associated with the
InstallValidate action present in our logs by default. With this change, we
will be able to diagnose problems like this in the future at a quicker pace.

Msi.h suggests to me that INSTALLLOGMODE_VERBOSE, one of the flags passed
into MsiSetExternalUI, is linked to INSTALLMESSAGE_INITIALIZE.
INSTALLMESSAGE_INITIALIZE is one of the message types handled (and logged)
by the external UI handler we're using.

I've been unable to locate documentation/posts online involving this. If
anyone could point me in the right direction, it would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance to all who respond.