Still struggling with this problem. Here's an example of an XML file with the
structure I need to modify on install.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<RootElement>
        <SubElement>
                <?js
                        //insert Javascript here with formatted property values
e.g.
[PropertyName]
                ?>
        </SubElement>
</RootElement>

In my WiX code, I had:

<util:XmlConfig Id="EditXml" File="foo.xml" Action="create" Node="value"
On="install" ElementPath="//RootElement/SubElement" Sequence="1" >
        <![CDATA[//the Javascript code]]>
</util:XmlConfig>

which, of course, placed the text next to the Javascript processing
instruction, rather than within it. So I looked into accessing XML
processing instruction tags with XPath, thinking that perhaps I wasn't using
the correct value for the util:XmlConfig/@ElementPath attribute. I've never
used XPath before, but I thought one of the following changes would work:

ElementPath="//RootElement/SubElement/processing-instruction('js')"
ElementPath="processing-instruction('js')//RootElement/SubElement"
ElementPath="//processing-instruction('js')"
ElementPath="processing-instruction('js')"

but to no avail. Am I just off with this syntax, or is there another
solution altogether?

Thanks in advance for the help!