From: tob...@gmx.net [mailto:tob...@gmx.net]
Sent: Monday, August 16, 2010 12:55 AM
To: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [WiX-users] MSI Error 1625 reasons?

Hello,
this is more an MSI than WiX related issue but I have seen many general MSI
question with good answers, so I try this also.

I have an msi installation that exits with error 1625, but only on a small
number of machines. The same installation file works well on all others.
Here is the relevant log file part (sorry for the german, it was a german OS
where we have the problem):

MSI (s) (48:8C) [11:15:01:985]: Note: 1: 2343
MSI (s) (48:8C) [11:15:01:985]: Entering
CMsiConfigurationManager::SetLastUsedSource.
MSI (s) (48:8C) [11:15:01:985]: Note: 1: 2720 2: 2
MSI (s) (48:8C) [11:15:02:032]: Note: 1: 1729
MSI (s) (48:8C) [11:15:02:032]: Product: MyProduct -- Configuration failed.

MSI (s) (48:8C) [11:15:02:032]: Das Produkt wurde durch Windows Installer neu
konfiguriert. Produktname: MyProduct. Produktversion: 1.3.2.5. Produktsprache:
1033. Erfolg- bzw. Fehlerstatus der neuen Konfiguration: 1625.

MSI (s) (48:8C) [11:15:02:032]: MainEngineThread is returning 1625
MSI (s) (48:68) [11:15:02:048]: No System Restore sequence number for this
installation.
Systemrichtlinien verhindern diese Installation. Wenden Sie sich an den
Systemadministrator.

So the error message is pointing to system policy, but so far we found no cause
of the error.  We allready searched a lot, and even compared the "local
security settings" with a machine were there is no error, but could not find
any hint what change or "setting" causes this error.
It is also strange that reinstalling the os on a machine that has this error
"fixed" the problem.

May be someone on the list had similar problems and found a solution for this
or could give a pointer to the root cause of this error?

Best regards,
Tobias

*** Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail, including any associated or attached
files, is intended solely for the individual or entity to which it is
addressed. This e-mail is confidential and may well also be legally privileged.
If you have received it in error, you are on notice of its status. Please
notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this message from
your system. Please do not copy it or use it for any purposes, or disclose its
contents to any other person. This email comes from a division of the Invensys
Group, owned by Invensys plc, which is a company registered in England and
Wales with its registered office at 3rd Floor, 40 Grosvenor Place, London, SW1X
7AW (Registered number 166023). For a list of European legal entities within
the Invensys Group, please go to
http://www.invensys.com/legal/default.asp?top_nav_id=77&nav_id=80&prev_id=77.

You may contact Invensys plc on +44 (0)20 3155 1200 or e-mail
recept...@invensys.com. This e-mail and any attachments thereto may be subject
to the terms of any agreements between Invensys (and/or its subsidiaries and
affiliates) and the recipient (and/or its subsidiaries and affiliates).