If the new version of the file has the same name as the old file and goes
into the same directory, keep the component's guid the same.

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Lord [mailto:chris.l...@atterotech.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 19, 2010 9:13 AM
To: General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset.
Subject: [WiX-users] Component Rules Question

Hi All,

This should be dead quick.  Despite reading through numerous pieces of
information, both on MSDN and in the archives, I am still a little
confused by the Component Rules and I'd like to get some clarification
if someone has a moment.

I have an installer that installer an .EXE and a number of support
files.  Each file has it's own component and the installer always
carries out a major upgrade with RemoveExistingProducts sequenced after
InstallValidate.

I now have a new version of one of the support files that I need to
incorporate and I need to build a new installer.  All the remaining
files are the same as before.  What do I have to do with the component
GUID for the component that contains the altered file?  Should it change
or not?

Thanks

Chris