1. I have a library with some commonly used stuff call it
Library.Common.wixlib
2. I have a library which uses some parts of Library.Common.wixlib call it
Library.Product1.wixlib (so it references Library.Common.wixlib)
3. I have an additional library which uses some parts of
Library.Common.wixlib call it Library.Product2.wixlib (so it references
Library.Common.wixlib as well)
4. Finally, I have an installer which allows you to install Product1 and
Product2 (so it
 references Library.Product1.wixlib and Library.Product2.wixlib)

Here's the problem / question:

Because Library.Product1.wixlib and Library.Product2.wixlib both reference
Library.Common.wixlib light.exe errors out when building the installer
because it finds duplicate symbols all over the place.

If I choose to use the -ai switch however everything works fine.

Questions:
1. What are the potential issues with using the -ai switch?
2. The example above seems like it would be a fairly common practice (to me
at least)...am I going about this the wrong way?